Travel Guides, Albums - Romania

Salistea de Sus Church

The Church of St. Nicholas of the Nistorescu Family in Salistea de Sus

Maramures Map - Salistea de Sus

Year built: 1736
Location: Săliştea de Sus is situated on the middle course of the Iza River, about 50 km southeast of Sighetu Marmaţiei and 25 km west of Borşa taking the county road DJ 186.
Summary: The presence of two towers in a wooden church is unique, and from far gives the impression of two small churches built side by side.

Salistea de Sus - Maramures
The Church of St. Nicholas of the Nistorescu Family in Salistea de Sus seen from northwest.

The church has a rectangular plan and a square apse, and the roof has double eaves. There used to be a small porch with pillars on the west façade, but after the Second World War a much larger porch was built in front of the church. This porch is a square structure with pillars, and a second, lower, tower on top of it.
On the wide frame of the entrance door there are still traces of paintings that depict the archangels Michael and Gabriel.

The Church of St. Nicholas of the Bâleni Family in Salistea de Sus

Salistea de Sus - Maramures
The Church of St. Nicholas of the Baleni Family in Salistea de Sus seen from southwest.

Year built: 1722
Location: Săliştea de Sus is situated on the middle course of the Iza River, about 50 km southeast of Sighetu Marmaţiei and 25 km west of Borşa taking the county road DJ 186.
Summary: The church silhouette is different from many others, as the tower is in the middle of the building, and a long roof with double eaves stretches on either side of it.

The village is split into two parts by the Iza River, and each bank has its own church, known with the name of the founding family, that is the Nistoreşti and the Bâleni. Both churches are dedicated to St. Nicholas. The first mentions of the village are from 1353 and 1365.
The church of the Bâleni family was built in 1722, probably in the place of a previous church burnt during the Tatar invasion.
On the west side of the church is a porch on two storeys with the entrance on the south side. This porch is a later addition, as can well be seen from the original much smaller porch with rounded arches that is inside the newer one.

Maramures Travel Guide

Leave a Reply